Since our childhood most of us have at some place or the other come across the saying “Karam krate jao phal ki chinta mat karo’’, means ‘’ Keep on doing your actions without worrying about the result’’. Such a simple saying, we keep on reading it again and again somewhere or the other – calendar’s , desktop, at someone’s home or office, religious places, school, colleges and so on. For me this saying was not something new, but I could never understand it. Over the past few months, after coming across several articles, I have unfolded the meaning behind this. It’s amazing how it is related to our daily life and work.
This derivation is from Shrimad Bhagvad Gita. I hope by the end of this blog, I will be able to connect how Karma and our lives are related.
The Law of Karma, states that, only karma (your actions) are under your control and whatever you are doing has a direct implication to your life. The Vedas have told us what is right and what is wrong; if you do good things it will have A implication and if you do bad things it will have B implication. But it has left us with the Free Will to choose. It our choices that we have made that have bought us to where we are today.
- We at time look at people who are much ahead with us, stating that his CTC is 50 Lacs, 60 Lacs and so on. He has a plush home, classy vehicle. He is there not because he is lucky; he is there because of his actions. It is all related to the Karma. You too can be there but are you willing to
- Toil so much, work extra hours
- Always utilize time productively
- Meet commitments
- Take new assignments
If you do the above Karma’s you will definitely reach the goal
- Most of the companies make business plans and in the business plan we discuss that if we run offers, take strong visibility, and do advertising our business will grow. Now look closely what are you talking about – Karma, in a different from – offer, visibility, advertising, branding so on. If you don’t do any of the above, your revenue remains where it was.
- We see so many people who take advantage of the position they are, by making the people under them toil. Putting extra pressure on them, making their life miserable. Look closely, all these people at some point or other are victim of some issues or the other, if not in professional life then in personal life. Karma has its own implications. You do bad, bad happen; you do good, good happens.
- Many people looking for change in job but not getting it. Cribbing all the time, I am not getting an opportunity. This could be due to various reasons, actions/karma
- May be you are a job hopper. All through your career have not been consistent and now that you want to grow up in the career, you are not getting a job, why – because at the senior level, employer looks at a person who is consistent.
- May be you have stuck in a company for too long and developed a comfort zone. Your knowledge is limited to a special industry only
- But mostly it is due to the knowledge-experience matrix, that most people are stuck where they are
It is said that Karma, itself is a cycle; it will not leave you until and unless the cycle is complete. Understand that if you are unjust with someone or you have cheated someone; and by doing so you are contended; it is only temporary. This deed of yours will come back you, it is not necessary that the same things will happen to you as you did to other, it may vary but it will come back. It’s a fact, look closely around you and do a little study you will see this happening around your friends, family and colleagues.
Good deeds are equally rewarded. Over the past, I have unfolded the more you give the more you get. I have been unselfish in giving. I was not like this before, I used to think – ‘’it’s my data, my analysis, why should I give it someone.’’ Even if I did, I did it incomplete. But now I am an open book, if anyone needs anything for me, I give it without any reservation. It is my ability to give, that I have started getting back. Again, note that the form is different. It is not necessary that if I have given an analysis of my subject to someone, I will get a some other analysis form someone. It could differ. In my case, I have made good friends, people who are much senior and knowledgeable than me; and the interesting thing is they in turn gave me so many ideas unconditionally that I see a clear path ahead of me.
You see that every where what input (Karma/action) we put in, we get the same kind of output. This person who I knew very closely have been a very smart person, earning good money, trying to make that extra buck by playing around with people, complicating things, poaching on data and people and so on. Most of his life he has seen a lot of success at the cost of so many lives. At the age of 56, when his only daughter married to someone he did not openly approved of, but had to eventually agree; he is a victim of so many diseases, depression and so on. And that her daughter has now moved out of India after her marriage, even meeting her is now not possible. The actions that were done in the past and the repercussion of the same are different, but Karma is not going to leave until the cycle is complete.
I can keep on writing on and on, on this subject, but I won’t, I think most of you who must have read it must be clear now what I intend to say. But before I end, one last thought I want to put in, is – Results are not in your hand, it never is and it never will be. Check out all the big brands that you see around you today, do you think any one of them did ever know when they began their business in India, that they will be such a large company. The answer is no. Then how did they become so big – it is all about the karma that they have put in some form or the other, which have bought them where they are today.
Whenever we make the business plan and we discuss on what to do, everything boils down to targets and when target is not achieve, people are held responsible. Why so much fuss about the target. Targets, must be there as a reference point. Look into your karma, ensure that you take all the actions correctly and targets will automatically happen. But the problem is, because the input does not come on time or is not executed properly, that numbers do not happen. Too much focus on targets that is not under your control will only increase the pressure and will never let things moving, you will loose manpower and if you cannot retain manpower, you cannot build the business. Act and rest will follow.
Karma is all in your hands. Do it. Don’t worry about the results.
Disclaimer: This above work of mine is just an interpretation of my understanding of Shrimad Bhagvad Gita. It is just and iota of derivative from the Shrimad Bhagvad Gita
FMCG – Foods Professional
Business Consulting, Change Management, Sales Management and Motivation